[Board] Next steps re accepting donations

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Fri Oct 9 18:39:14 EDT 2020

Hi,

I've taken the following immediate steps to get us along the path to being
able to readily accept donations by means other than a check:

- I've set up G Suite for the evergreen-ils.org so that I can more readily
manage project email separate from my personal accounts without looking
like I'm some rando not associated with TEP.  I've taken steps to ensure
that existing email at evergreen-ils.org addresses will continue to work as
is, but as of now, gmc at evergreen-ils.org and treasurer at evergreen-ils.org
will now reach me.

I've also applied for G Suite for Nonprofits; I note that doing so will
take us most of the way towards becoming known to TechSoup.

The decision to turn on G Suite is one that I acknowledge is precipitous;
it's not baked in stone. However, it does of course offer some benefits in
the shape of more readily being able to centralize management of our Google
Docs.

- I've created a PayPal account for us and have applied for status as a
"Confirmed Charity". That status will give us a discounted rate, speed up
transferring received funds to our checking account, and is a prerequisite
to claiming ourselves as a charity on GoFundMe.

Speaking of proving that we're a 501(c)3, I discovered that the IRS is
delayed updating their public nonprofit organization database.
Consequently, we will be slower than normal to show up on other service's
lists of charities. However, in most cases sharing a copy of our
determination letter from the IRS should suffice to prove our status.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton