[Board] Next steps re accepting donations

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Sat Oct 10 11:26:50 EDT 2020

Hi,

I note, by the way, that PayPal is currently charging 2.9% of donations +
$0.30 per transaction as a fee. This fee will go down to 2.2% + $0.30 upon
approval of our application to be recognized as a confirmed charity by
PayPal.

The rates are higher for PayPal donations made from outside the US: 4.4% +
$0.30 pre-confirmation, 3.7% + $0.30 thereafter. This does _not_, I
believe, include additional fees for currency conversion and credit card
processing. If it's desired, I can readily create a second donation form
that accepts CAD, but we _cannot_ make any general statement as to whether
contributions by Canadians would give them any tax benefit. E.g., <
https://www.hodgsonruss.com/canada-united-states-charity.html> gives you
some idea of the complexities.

Regards,

Galen