[Board] Next steps re accepting donations

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Thu Oct 22 10:35:14 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 9:43 AM Galen Charlton <gmc at equinoxinitiative.org>
wrote:

> Our application to become a "Confirmed Charity" has been approved. PayPal
> will now automatically consider whether to enroll us in the PayPal Giving
> Fund, and the confirmed charity status will make it possible for us to
> enroll with GoFundMe Charity should we choose to pursue that option for
> specific fundraising campaigns.

We are now registered with the PayPal Giving Fund, and we now have a
fundraising page here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/4106223

There are some tradeoffs involved with choosing to use the PayPal Giving
Fund versus the PayPal donation form I created a few days ago:

PayPal Giving
-------------------
pro: PayPal covers the transaction fees
pro: PayPal sends the donation receipt
con: Funds are not available immediately. Instead, funds are deposited into
our PayPal account monthly and thus can take 15-45 days to show up after
the donation
con: Disbursements to charities are at PayPal's discretion, so they could
choose to redirect donations for various reason
con: There is no option to set up a recurring donation through this form

Donation form
-------------------
pro: Funds are available immediately
pro: Funds go directly to us, although of course we're always subject to a
donor deciding to change their mind and challenge a donation in a way that
might disrupt our PayPal account
pro: The donation form allows the donor to easily set up a monthly
recurring donation
con: While while PayPal does of course generate a receipt when the donation
is made, we still have to ensure that we send out tax receipts as well with
the appropriate language
con: PayPal charges us transaction fees

For the short term, I think we should direct people to the donation form.
Longer-term, the PayPal Giving form would be suitable for campaigns where
somebody wishes to pay via PayPal or credit card but where we don't need
quick availability of the funds.

By the way, I supplied the "About This Charity" text on the Giving form, so
suggested edits are welcome.

Regards,

Galen
--