[Eg-newdevs] Working Draft of Git Instructions

Terran McCanna tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Fri Jun 28 19:24:48 EDT 2019

Hi everyone,

I (with much help from Chris Sharp) have been working on instructions for
using Git in Evergreen. I've tried to break it down in much more detail
than the existing git guidelines in the Evergreen documentation, and tried
to include everything you need to know to do the basic tasks but tried to
leave out all the side cases / extra options.

I would love it if someone could actually walk through the instructions and
mark down the parts that are confusing / need more explanation. If you do
not have access to a test server at this point, you should still be able to
follow the steps for Installation, Creating a Branch, and Signing Off on a
Branch. (Testing a Branch requires access to a test server.)

Also, note that once your SSH has been set up and you have access to upload
branches to the Evergreen working repo, you can upload as many things as
you like for practice into your working folder. Since they're just in your
folder it won't matter that they are there, but there is a command to
delete remote branches on the 'useful commands' page if you want to clean
up your working folder.

https://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=newdevs:git:install

Looking forward to getting your feedback!
Terran

Terran McCanna, PINES Program Manager

Georgia Public Library Service | University System of Georgia

1800 Century Place NE Suite 580 l Atlanta, GA 30345

(404) 235-7138 | tmccanna at georgialibraries.org

http://help.georgialibraries.org | help at help.georgialibraries.org

<https://www.facebook.com/georgialibraries>
<https://www.twitter.com/georgialibs>

Join our email list <http://georgialibraries.org> for stories of Georgia
libraries making an impact in our communities.