[Eg-oversight-board] Proposed Board Composition and Elections

Stephen Wills swills at beyond-print.com
Tue Dec 20 12:16:43 EST 2011

Hi Bradley and Tony,

I wanted to respond to your request for a URL to our conflict of
interest policy.  We currently have a clause in the By-laws.  We have
an agenda item to amend this clause with the following text.   I am
wondering if we should hold off on this motion today so that you and
Tony can review it in the context of the wider SFC conflict policy?

Steve Wills

Proposed motion is to strike the current clause 2.7 from the By-Laws
and replace it with the new clause below.

2.7 Conflicts of Interest

a. Any board member who has a financial, personal, or official
interest in, or
conflict (or the appearance of a conflict) with any matter pending
before the
board, of such nature that it prevents or may prevent that member from
acting on
the matter in an impartial manner, shall voluntarily refrain from
voting on said
matter.

b. Any board member, abstaining from voting on a matter with which a
real or
percieved conflict may exist but who has substantial information about
a matter
before the board, shall be encouraged and expected to assist, to the
best of the
members ability, in the discussion and resolution of the issue before
the board,
being restained only from casting a vote on the matter.

c. Information disclosed under this policy shall be held in confidence
by the
persons authorized to receive and act upon it except where, in the
judgment of
any of such persons, the best interest of the organization requires
further
disclosure.

d. Any board member who is uncertain about possible conflict-of-
interest in any
matter may request that the board assist in determining whether a
possible
conflict exists; the Board shall resolve the question by majority
vote. If
required, the question of potential conflict might be referred to
counsel for an
opinion prior to the Board vote.

e. No contract or other transaction between the Foundation and any other
corporation, partnership, association or other organization in which
one or more
of the Foundation board members are directors or officers or are
financially
interested, shall be void or voidable solely because of such
relationship or
interest or solely  because such board member or members are present
at or
participate in the meeting of the Oversight Board which authorizes,
approves or
ratifies such contract or transaction, if:

     (i) The material facts as to the board member’s relationship or
interest and as
to the contract or transaction are disclosed or are known to the
Oversight Board
and the board in good faith authorizes, approves, or ratifies the
contract or
transaction by the affirmative votes of a majority of the
disinterested board
members; and

     (ii) The contract or transaction is fair as to the Foundation at
the time it is
authorized, approved or ratified by the Oversight Board.