[Eg-oversight-board] Keynote speakers

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Nov 15 22:00:13 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> I'd like to see keynote speakers who have some relationship to
> Evergreen. On that front, I recommend George Oates - she is the lead
> for OpenLibrary, deeply understands open source and open data, and is
> a great speaker.
>
> And of course Evergreen and OpenLibrary have a close relationship:
> OpenLibrary is the default added content provider for Evergreen, and
> Evergreen 2.2 will include the ability to read or borrow OpenLibrary
> books.
>
> More about George at http://abitofgeorge.com/

And if that link doesn't work for you for some reason, and you're not
immediately bowled over by a Google search for "George Oates", check
out http://smithsonianlibraries.si.edu/smithsonianlibraries/2011/03/save-the-date-march-15-george-oates-a-conversation-with-nancy-gwinn.html
for a recent bio of George when she was speaking at the Smithsonian.
Two great quotes from that page:

  * "[Prior to becoming lead of OpenLibrary], she served as the Senior
Program Manager for Flickr, where, she developed the successful Flickr
Commons environment that provided a ground-breaking platform for
cultural heritage organizations to crowdsource and community-build
around their photographic collections."

  * "She has been appointed a Research Associate for Smithsonian
Institution Libraries in 2011."
(http://smithsonianlibraries.si.edu/smithsonianlibraries/2011/01/george-oates.html)

See also http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/05/minimum-viable-record.html

She's also a heck of a designer. Maybe she would be interested in
participating in the Hackfest to help us apply some more design
sensibility to the TPAC... :)