[Eg-oversight-board] Google Summer of Code Mentorship Summit 2011

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Sep 28 21:55:53 EDT 2011

Hi all:

Google has invited two mentors from each organization that participated
in the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) to attend the GSoC mentorship summit
in October. They have offered to foot the bill for airfare and for two
nights in the San Francisco hotel where the summit is taking place.

I have discussed the event with Galen Charlton, the other Evergreen
mentor this summer, and he won't be able to make it. I, on the other
hand, have a clear schedule and plan to take Google up on the offer.
It's a great chance to exchange ideas with mentors from the other 200+
projects from across the globe that participated this year and for
Evergreen to gain more exposure.

As Google needs to be invoiced by and provide reimbursement to
organizations instead of individuals, the SFC (as our fiscal sponsor)
will issue an invoice to Google on behalf of Evergreen & the other
projects participating in GSoC that are SFC member organizations. So: I
will send my airfare receipt to the SFC; the SFC will issue an invoice
to Google on behalf of all SFC projects in the GSoC; Google will cut a
cheque (literally or figuratively) to the SFC; the SFC will divide that
amount up between the various projects matching the amount of the
individual receipts; and the SFC will cut cheques to the individuals who
attended the GSoC Mentorship Summit to reiumburse them for their
airfare.

All this to say: the earmarked Evergreen account that the SFC maintains
for us will show an incoming transaction from Google followed by an
outgoing transaction to me in equal amounts -- assuming, of course, that
I have the blessing of the Evergreen Oversight Board to represent the
Evergreen project at the Mentorship Summit.

Oh, and one more thing: apart from the Mentorship Summit expense
reimbursement, Google will also be sending a $500 stipend for each of
this years mentors (Galen and I) to the SFC, to be deposited in the
earmarked Evergreen account. Galen and I agreed back when we were
accepted into the GSoC that we wanted to contribute our stipends to the
Evergreen project, so that amount will stay in the Evergreen account.
One small step closer to covering conference attrition / world
domination :)

Dan Scott