[Eg-oversight-board] Oversight Board Nominees

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Apr 23 21:41:14 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Corridan, Jim (ICPR)
<jcorridan at icpr.in.gov> wrote:
> Just forwarded Ben's info to Galen.
>
> Seemed clear to me that the Rules of Governance calling for one-third of the board to face elections this year lends the notion we serve three year terms.
>
> I'm -1

"Lends the notion", maybe. "Clear"? Far from it. The section (below)
that talks about electing members of the board _only_ mentions 2012 -
nothing about future years. Lacking any actual clear language on the
subject, terms are indefinite - by definition (or lack thereof).

"""
2.10. Transition to General Rules of Governance and General Elections

By the end of the 2012 Evergreen International Conference or 30 April
2012, whichever comes sooner, the Board will have promulgated rules of
governance for this Board and the Evergreen Project to be presented
for approval by the general membership of the Evergreen Project during
the conference. At that same time, the board will designate at least
1/3 of its seats to be filled by general election at the 2012
conference. The board will also hold new elections for the board
officers at that time.
"""

That said, rather than continue to try to derive interpretations by
reading between the lines of the existing rules, we can make a
concerted, measured effort to amend the rules in the coming year.
There's no rush.