[Eg-oversight-board] Fwd: Release manager, Package releases vs Software releases, Membership fees

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Aug 15 16:52:31 EDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Galen Charlton <gmc at esilibrary.com>
Date: Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Eg-oversight-board] Release manager, Package releases vs
Software releases, Membership fees
To: "Elfstrand, Stephen F" <stephen.elfstrand at mnsu.edu>
Cc: Kathy Lussier <klussier at masslnc.org>, "Evergreen Oversight Board +SFC (
evergreen at sfconservancy.org)" <evergreen at sfconservancy.org>, "Lazar, Alexey
Vladimirovich" <alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu>, "Curie, Carrie L" <
carrie.curie at mnsu.edu>

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Elfstrand, Stephen F <
stephen.elfstrand at mnsu.edu> wrote:
> “only one person submitted his name as a candidate for the position”
> Yes, I imagine it’s a lot of work to volunteer for. If the Board had some
> funds, it could offer a stipend to the release managers and get more
> candidates.

One thing to bear in mind on this point is that the developers'
decision-making on matters like this is almost always based on consensus.
 Until such point that Evergreen's pool of developers gets quite large --
specifically, large enough that it's no longer the case that all
significant developers are personally known to one another -- I would
actually find it unlikely for a release manager election to actually be
contested by the time of the formal vote unless there were irreconcilable
differences of opinion about the technical direction of the project.

In other words, if the current release manager had *not* chosen to run,
somebody else would have.

Regards,

Galen
--