[Eg-oversight-board] Update on UI project

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Dec 13 14:08:40 EST 2013

Hi all,

Yamil, Terran, Grace and I had a conference call yesterday to discuss
the UI projects. At this time, we have two possible consultants we are
considering for the project. We are hoping to schedule conference calls
with each of them next week to see if one of the consultants comes
across as a clear choice for the group. If so, we plan to engage in
further discussions with the consultant to get us to the point where we
can get a proposal for the project.

We also identified some broad goals for the project that you can see at
http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=scratchpad:ui:goals. Some
points to make about these goals:

* For the improvements to reach the greatest number of users in the
Evergreen community, we agreed that the consultant should focus on the
most-heavily used interfaces in circulation and cataloging. Although
there are other interfaces that may have more usability concerns, we
thought it was important to focus on the interfaces that got the most
day-to-day use. We think the results from the Evergreen Use survey done
as part of the QA project would be helpful in pinpointing the interfaces
that are evaluated.
http://nox.esilibrary.com/~jason/qareport/qa.html#_appendix_a_survey_results
<http://nox.esilibrary.com/%7Ejason/qareport/qa.html#_appendix_a_survey_results>.

* We also noted that we need to strike a balance between improving
usability, ensuring that the web client project is done in a timely
manner, and ensuring that staff do not need to be totally re-trained to
use the new client.

We also talked a bit about what kind of budget we should set for the
project. Given the timeline, this is not a project that could be funded
through a possible grant. However, there are several Evergreen sites
that might be interested in contributing to this project. Grace said she
would contact potential contributors to see if we could get a ballpark
on what we may have available for funds.

I will continue to post information about the project to
http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=scratchpad:ui:start. If anyone
has any questions or further comments, let me know.

Have a nice weekend!
Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier