[Eg-oversight-board] Web Team follow-up to Oversight Board discussion

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Thu Mar 14 17:29:59 EDT 2013

Hi All,

Hi everyone -- thanks for taking a look at our web options this week. Sorry
I had to miss the meeting.  I've asked Jim to address a couple of the
concerns raised by the Oversight Board.

<From Jim>

* Re: preserving wiki content

We definitely want to preserve as much of the existing wiki as possible,
given the huge amount of knowledge captured there.  I've been manually
copying wiki pages into the new site that have direct menu links, as well
as some of the more popular wiki pages that aren't linked in the menu.

But there's a lot of content!  I'm not sure how much progress Steve has
made on his automated solution but I did some research and have a couple of
ideas.  Ideally, it would be great if someone with admin privileges on the
existing Dokuwiki could install the Site Export plugin (
https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:siteexport) and give me a copy of the
site as-is
in HTML format.  I could then import those pages into the new Drupal site
en masse (with some tweaks and hacking, of course).  Is there someone
specific I should direct this request to?

Finally, when it comes to losing revision history -- I agree that's a
concern.  It's technically possible to figure out a solution that would
move all of the previous wiki revisions into Drupal's "previous revisions"
feature for each page -- but that would be a really nasty and complicated
problem and we probably don't have the resources.  Instead, I'd
suggest we preserve
the existing wiki somewhere for historical/archival purposes and just start
fresh using Drupal's content and its revision system.

* Re: replacing Dokuwiki's functionality -- the Drupal content management
system is basically built for this.  We've discussed having "contributor"
roles for community members that would allow people to add and edit various
categories of content:

- Articles (short content for How-Tos or Tips and Tricks)
- Blog posts (official community blog posts and maybe official "guest"
bloggers)
- Book pages (could *eventually* be a much simpler system for managing the
official docs)
- Pages (standard web pages like the About page - maybe restrict to
Oversight Board?)

All of these systems have built in revision-management features, built-in
rich-text editing, built-in image gallery integration, and contributors
don't need any knowledge of HTML or PHP.

<End of Jim's contribution>

If you are game to make the move to the Drupal version of the existing, we
are certainly game to help.  I think in order to make the cutover though,
we need to have support for the people currently contributing content to
the site.  Once we get going, I think more people will come forward but
without the support of existing web contributors, I don't see a point in
going forward. Could someone help us with that part?

Lori