[Eg-oversight-board] before next board meeting

Andrea Buntz Neiman aneiman at kent.lib.md.us
Thu May 30 17:12:33 EDT 2013

>> 2) Andrea and Shauna - if you're still interested in playing
>> wranglers to help front end users supply documentation for developers
>> I'm sure that would be welcome so let's try to find some time to chat
>> about it.  The obvious goal (to me) would be test cases but there may
>> be other opportunities and there will definitely be a need for some
>> structure I think.
>>
>> http://www.open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=qa:eg_test_cases
>>
>> Here is an example of some already up on the WIKI.  They can be
>> structured a bit differently but this shows you the fundamentals.  It
>> may seem obvious to front end users what has to be done but those
>> kinds of accurate repeated steps are very important.  After those
>> looking at automated tools for testing like selenium
>> http://docs.seleniumhq.org/projects/ide/ is the next step.
>>
>> My personal opinion is that once we have some people willing to wear
>> official wrangling hats that they start working with the developer
>> community to identify priorities and what would be most helpful.
>
> Sorry to answer a question that wasn't directed at me, but my
> recollection from the meeting at the conference was that the goal was
> to engage the community in helping in many different activities, not
> just in developing test cases, though I do think the test cases are
> important. I'm guessing there are those who will be happy to
> contribute to the test cases, but others may not find that it is the
> right fit, and I wouldn't want to miss out on the other opportunities
> for involvement.
>
> Having said that, even though I didn't volunteer to wrangle, I would
> be happy to work on a set of acquisitions test cases.

Speaking for myself, I am indeed interested in test cases, but more
broadly I am interested in guiding non-tech people like myself in ways
they can contribute, whether that be documentation, test cases, bug
reporting, etc.; and also in providing outreach to new community members
either at the conference or on the wiki, wherever, with a "So you're new
here" page/seminar/whatever.

With all due respect, the Contributor page on the wiki is very densely
wall-of-text and dev-focused.   Librarians are by nature helpful people
who like ferreting out information, but there's this sense that I get
from this page that things like bug reporting and documentation are
solely the domain of people who know the code.  I understand why knowing
the code is good in these cases, but is it necessary?  I would very much
like to bridge the gap between "I want to get involved but I couldn't
code if my life depended on it" and "Here's what the project needs that
can be done knowing no code", since that is the gap in which I
frequently find myself w/r/t the project (and based on conversations
with others I'm not alone in this gap).

This could involve things like What makes for a good/useful/helpful test
case/bug report/bit of documentation?  Or even pulling back a little,
What makes something a bug?  What kinds of things might be caused by
bugs?  The Bug Wranglers FAQ page is a bit more helpful to this end,
but I feel that these things should be made more widely known.

Another important factor is time -- can we identify things that would
help EG that can be done with a minimal time commitment?  I know that
ideally organizations would encourage or even require their staff to
give back to the project, but if we're realistic not all organizations
can/will do this.  What are some quickies we can ask for help with?
What about breaking down test areas into small, bite-sized pieces?

These are just my unrefined & dashed-off end-of-the-day thoughts, but I
hope it gives a little insight into what I was thinking about outreach.
I am very interested in a dialogue about ways to get a broader segment
of the community involved and making the ways they can help seem
friendlier and more approachable.

A.

Andrea Buntz Neiman, MLS
Librarian II, Public Services