[Eg-oversight-board] Resource allocator summit - wireframe concept for next meeting

Ben Hyman ben.hyman at bc.libraries.coop
Wed Nov 20 14:49:21 EST 2013

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay with this. I undertook to wireframe this proposal some time ago, and despite the passage of time, I still think its a good idea! Hope you do too. Look forward to discussion about this on the next agenda, if there's space.

Background[1] and proposal[2] below. Next steps, if we agree there should be any, would include:

-sanity check with Kathy/Amy about feasibility WRT proximity to the conference (its been a while since I checked in with Kathy)
-assembly of Ad Hoc Planning Committee, and so on

Cheers!

Ben Hyman
Executive Director | BC Libraries Cooperative
ben.hyman at bc.libraries.coop | 1.855.383.5761 ext 1001 | cell: 250.889.2738
bc.libraries.coop | Twitter: @BCLibrariesCoop

[1 ]Background (initial proposal):

For the EOB to truly add value, and be seen as a credible and strategic entity, it needs to bring revenue. Swag sales are a great start as is identifying grant sources - kudos to those leading these efforts! In my view - in addition to these efforts - the EOB can/should intentionally engage the collective "resource allocator" group on areas of common cause and common opportunity with respect to strategic development.

The EOB is uniquely positioned to see the forest and tell the stories of reciprocal gains; there are several recent and successful examples of cross-community collaboration (cash pooling around development initiatives, so excellently framed by MassLNC, e.g.) - it would be a great tragedy to see these go by un-leveraged.

What does this group think of something like a "Resource-Allocator-A-Way" loosely based on the successful Hack-A-Way model, and facilitated by the EOB? "Say what?" Essentially, this would be an opportunity for resource allocator types to a) come together b) learn of common cause c) brainstorm methods to achieve common cause via protocol and - wait for it - funding agreements and the like.

26.09.13 AGREED: The EOB is in favor of calling a resource allocator summit, and requests a fleshed-out proposal from interested parties, including Ben Hyman

[2] Wireframe proposal for 2014 in-person resource allocator session:

What?

A half day (4 hour) facilitated session focussed on common cause with respect to Evergreen's strategic development.

Proposed agenda:
a) Come together
-Representative attendees from across the community invited in December, with follow up in Q1, 2014. Suggest no more than 25 people total, depending on venue. Possibly fewer to enable a really focussed conversation, the results of which should be distributed across the community for feedback

b) Learn of common cause; QA and Web client discussions leveraged as framing examples with respect to global / transcendent Evergreen development issues.
-Successful pooled development approaches (ACQ, e.g.) leveraged as example(s) of the reciprocal benefits achieved through shared funding, focussed on co-created Statements of Work
-Grants research update and potential parallels

c) Moving forward; Leveraging previous successes as indicators that shared/coordinated approaches are both possible and essential for the future:
-Identification of key institutional/jurisdictional/conceptual/legal impediments to shared funding approaches
-Identification of dis-incentives if not already identified
-Identification of low hanging fruit
-identification of best practice models to emulate

Planning:
Ad Hoc Committee assembled from volunteers within the EOB, and in liaison with the EG 2014 Planning team, as well as SFC.

Potential dates:
March 18, 2014 (Pre-conference to EG 2014)
March 22, 2014 (immediately following last EG 2014 conference sessions)
March 23, 2014 (Post-conference to EG 2014)
Other?

Budget items:
-If we can append this session to EG 2014 (and thereby forego separate travel costs and the like), it has been suggested that a qualified/known Boston-area facilitator may be amenable in exchange for beer
-a suitable venue will need to be located, likely outside the scope of the EG 2014 contract
-catering
-materials
-Total preliminary estimate ~$1500 USD