[Eg-oversight-board] Update: Back-filling documentation proposal

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Thu Nov 21 12:58:49 EST 2013

Hello,

I wanted to give an update to this project. Since the last update I
have  I asked the community for suggestions of what documentation we
should work on. Also, I have been exploring what would be a reasonable
costs to implement.

Community Suggestions
-------------------------------

Here are the suggestions I got so far, though I can ask for more from
the community....

1)  Details about reports

* " the reports module needs better documentation. Specifically, what
the fields are, what they do, and how they relate."

2)  Alternate serials view workflow

* " more detailed documentation on the Alternate Serial Control View,
creating a subscription specifically. I'd like to see step by step
instructions with screen captures on what to expect."

3)  Cataloging buckets

* "The section on the  cataloging buckets seems to only be in the 1.6
docs and has not been carried forward to any of the 2.x that I can
see."

[[This last suggestion should be soon addressed by some ongoing DIG work]]

Ballpark Cost Considerations
--------------------------------------

Since this is the first time the EOB (or myself) attempts to hire a
contractor for documentation work, I rather propose a total project
cost instead of proposing simply an hourly rate. Though to come up
with a general cost ballpark, I looked at (north american) technical
writer's hourly rates posted online to determine an upper bound of
around $35-$40 an hour.

Another reason to want to avoid hiring purely by an hourly rate, is
that I suspect there will be some downtime for the contractor when
they might be waiting for an EOB representative or an EG developer
answers technical questions for them.

First Ballpark Cost Proposal
------------------------------------

Therefore lets assume a few things.
* We tackle one of the first two suggestions above.
* The work will take around 3 full time work days (7h/day), or 8 part
time work days (3h/day).
* The contractor would value their work around $20
* There project will have downtime built in for the answering of
technical questions by members of the EOB or the EG dev community
* The EOB would expect a month of turnaround time for project
completion including reviews and edits.

Considering the above, the ballpark cost would be around $500.

Though depending on contractors value of their work hours, and the
amount of training that they will need, the ballpark cost could be as
high as $1000.

I am making a lot of assumptions, that might be way off, and I welcome
the boards input.

Thanks in advance,
Yamil