[Eg-oversight-board] Budget revision for Evergreen 2014 International Conference

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Feb 27 12:56:11 EST 2014

Hi all,

For today's conference update, I will be presenting a revision to the
budget for the 2014 Evergreen International Conference.

Registrations for the conference have been lower than expected. As a
result, we are now anticipating that the overall reduction in income
will exceed the 10% threshold that requires Board vote on a revised budget.

For your reference, I have attached the previously approved budget as of
January. The current budget revision is available in a Google doc at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar4gDMUDwDXqdFoxZFJGbGxMYXR0bUdNYmZmc3A1M3c&usp=sharing.

I'm still hammering out the details for some potential cost reductions,
but I've assumed the worst case scenario, given our current income,
costs, and contractual obligations, when pulling together this budget.
Despite a concerted effort to cut costs where we can, this worst case
scenario is showing a loss of $1,800.

Some bullet points on how I approached this budget:

* The income is only showing known registrations, sponsorships, and
exhibitors. There are no projections here.

* When looking at expenses to cut, there were certain areas where we
didn't have much leeway due to contractual obligations. Specifically,
our contractual food & beverage minimum (covered by the breakfasts,
breaks, and reception) was based on a turnout of 200-225 people
registered for the entire four days. It therefore was much higher than
we would have set if we had anticipated the current level of registrations.

* The area where we had the most flexibility for reducing costs was in
a/v. Back when we were first negotiating with the conference venue, we
had negotiated a price of $11,000 for 7 Mbps of bandwidth for the
wireless connection. However, given the current budget, I am
recommending that we go back to the 3 Mbps of bandwidth typically
offered at the hotel, bringing the cost down to $9,000.

* In an unrelated issue, we discovered fairly late in the process that
the team planning to do our conference recording services would have to
back out. This left us in a tough spot as it was a group that offered
conference recording at a fairly affordable rate. We considered doing
our own recording using the same software that the original team was
planning to use. However, we discovered that it would require that we
purchase fairly pricey equipment. The hotel recording service was very
expensive and some area a/v service providers were either unavailable or
only willing to record if it were bundled with an a/v package that was
more expensive than the one provided by the hotel. In the end, we have
also backed this expense out of the budget.

This latter decision was difficult for many reasons, one of which was
the fact that we had sponsors for a/v and recording. Amy is contacting
those sponsors about shifting their sponsorships to a more generic a/v,
wireless sponsorship.

* Eventbrite fees have been removed from the budget as the SFC has
worked out an agreement with them to waive the fees.

* There are still two places where I see potential to shave costs, but I
did not include them because I don't have confirmation yet. First, I do
believe that we met our room attrition, but the last numbers I saw
showed us short by two room nights, so I included that cost just in case
I'm wrong. Also, we have been looking at ways to reduce our general a/v
costs. Yamil Suarez had already helped by offering a nice projector for
one of the conference spaces. I'm looking at a way to reconfigure our
space to eliminate the need for a projector and screen.  If those two
items work out the way I expect them too, we should be at the breakeven
point, but I'm not making any promises until I receive final confirmation.

Feel free to throw any questions my way during today's EOB meeting.

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator