[Eg-oversight-board] Proposed conference photography policy

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue May 6 16:55:22 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Following up on an action item from the last EOB meeting, I have
attached a draft policy that Ben Shum and I worked on. The policy is
similar to the one used by ADA Camp, but I tacked on a paragraph at the
end that Tony Sebro had recommended we use when we sent out an e-mail to
2014 attendees regarding conference photography.

While creating the policy, Ben and I had an interesting discussion about
implementation of this policy.

One approach was to ask people to identify their photography preferences
when registering for the conference. The planning committee could then
use the registration numbers to determine how many lanyards to order of
each color.  One con to that approach is that we're keeping a record of
people's photography choices.

Another approach is that you just make the lanyards available in
multiple colors, and people pick their color choice when they pick up
name badges. In that case, photography preferences aren't recorded
anywhere. However, the down side to that approach is that, without
knowing how many colors to order ahead of time, it would work better if
we used generic lanyards - ones that don't identify a specific
conference or carry the logo of a sponsor. The conference planning
committee could then order lots of lanyards in all three colors without
worrying that they ordered too many in a particular color. However, the
down side is that we would lose the ability to offer a sponsorship for
what has been a popular sponsorship opportunity.

I normally wouldn't want to involve the Board in implementation details,
but, since the conversation between Ben and me talked touched on
concerns over recording people's photography choices and the potential
loss of a sponsorship category, I thought it would be worthwhile for the
Board to provide some feedback on how the policy should be implemented.

What do you all think?

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier