[Eg-oversight-board] Proposal for standing conference committee

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu May 15 10:29:03 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I chatted with Grace a bit a few weeks ago about the standing committee.
We were thinking the makeup of the standing committee should be similar
to the makeup of the site selection committee and perhaps could serve
both rolls. With that in mind, I would like to propose that the
Executive Oversight Board establish a standing conference planning
committee that includes the following people from the community:

2 or 3 reps from previous conferences
one Board member - If one of the other reps also serves on the Board, I
think they could serve in a dual role.
1 or 2 at-large community members
1 vendor rep
Any number of local reps from the host institution/city

The planning committee is responsible for the overall planning of the
conference (local arrangements, budgeting, web presence, volunteer
wrangling, etc.). In past conferences, there has also been a separate
programming committee that was made up of a mix of local planners and
other community members/past conference planners. I don't think the new
standing planning committee should supersede that programming committee
since it has always worked very well and has a small core group that may
not be interested in other aspects of conference planning.

While Amy and I were talking to Buzzy a few weeks ago, I mentioned the
EOB was considering a standing conference committee, and he responded
positively to the idea of working with others in the community who have
previously planned conference.

Thanks!
Kathy

--