[Eg-oversight-board] Proposed conference photography policy

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu May 15 13:28:50 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I just wanted to added a few comments to this discussion before today's
meeting.

Grace is right when she says it's not a huge loss of revenue, but it
does mean that we won't be reimbursed for the cost of purchasing the
lanyards. However, the cost of purchasing lanyards does go down quite a
bit once we stop printing a sponsor's logos on them (unless we decide to
print the Evergreen logo on the lanyards.) At the same time, I'm always
concerned about tying the hands of future conference planners.

> I don't mind recording preferences so long as we have controls as to
> who sees it and we destroy the records afterwards.

I don't know how easy it is to destroy the records. We use Eventbrite
for our registrations, and I don't see an easy way to do it after a
quick look, but I could be missing something.

> A minor tangent - But, with that said I actually think being
> transparent about controls of attendance records would be a good thing
> regardless of what we do about the photography preferences.  We had a
> snafu with the list of attendees being emailed out and I don't recall
> but were folks asked if it was OK to be put on that list?  I assume we
> were but I don't actually recall.  It's easy for me to forget about
> the privacy aspect of this as I attend representing an organization
> and it's all very public but some might not be and we need to be
> conscious of their privacy.

We do let people know at registration time. There is a checkbox that
allows people to opt out of being included on the attendee list. The
language (approved by the SFC) is as follows:

> We will produce an attendee list for the conference. This list is not
> to be published on the web or to be used for unsolicited commercial,
> marketing, or bulk email purposes. If you do not wish to be part of
> this list, check the box below to opt out.

That language is also included on a few conference pages and the "this
list is not to be published..." bit is included on the footer of every
page on the attendee list.

> Could you perhaps have a generic, anonymous survey that goes out to
> all conference goers, prior to the event asking preference?  This
> would give you a rough count without collecting names.  I was thinking
> a simple Google form (or equivalent) with the text of the policy and
> the choices following.  There would be no record generated except a
> raw count of the lanyard choices.  Then you could order X% more of
> each, just in case folks change their mind on location.

That's a possibility too.

I disagree that speakers should not be included in the opt-in/opt-out
policy for photographs. There could be some real reasons why somebody
does not want their photo posted, and I think the lanyards offer a good
way to communicate that information for attendees and speakers alike.

During this year's conference, we did send an e-mail to speakers letting
them know that they would be photographed, but also telling them that
they could opt out of being photographed. I've seen examples from many
other conferences that allow speakers to opt out. Although there were
many photos posted to social media sites this year, a large percentage
of them were posted by a volunteer from the conference committee who was
informed of the speakers' photography preferences. There was one speaker
who preferred not to have photographs posted and there was another who
asked that we remove a photo after it had been posted. It's true that
another audience member could have take a photo and posted it to social
media, but there really was no way to communicate those preferences to
the attendees.

With the lanyards, attendees who are posting to social media will be
able to clearly see what a speaker's photography preferences are, so it
would be less likely to happen. If the policy is adopted, I think it
would be important to disseminate this information widely before and
during the conference so that attendees are aware that they are expected
to honor those preferences.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator