[Eg-oversight-board] Update - 2015 EOB elections pre-work

Ben Hyman ben.hyman at bc.libraries.coop
Tue Mar 17 20:37:06 EDT 2015

Hi all,

On our call this week, Grace, Andrea and I will be reporting on the following action from our last meeting:
"bbqben graced abneiman review EOB voting platforms including github, surveymonkey"

You will find the gist of what we've come up with below, and please expect us to call for volunteers for service on the nominations committee.
Look forward to the discussion!

Cheers,
Ben

Ben Hyman
Executive Director | BC Libraries Cooperative
ben.hyman at bc.libraries.coop | 1.855.383.5761 ext 1001 | cell: 250.889.2738
bc.libraries.coop | Twitter: @BCLibrariesCoop
DRAFT Call For Interest (with proposed dates included and placeholders pending discussion / decision at the upcoming EOB meeting):

The nomination and voter registration periods for the 2015 Evergreen Oversight Board elections are now underway.

Three seats on the board are open this year for a three-year term. Nominations may be made by any individual who has contributed to Evergreen or who is employed by an institution that runs Evergreen. Email nominations and self-nominations can be sent to the Evergreen Oversight Board mailing list. If you have questions or would like information about what it means to be on the board, you are welcome to contact the Nominating Committee by sending an email to [Volunteer names Here]. After confirming the nominees, the committee will announce the nominee’s names to the Evergreen Community general discussion list.

The deadline for nominations is 5pm Pacific, Friday, May 1st, 2015.

To be eligible to vote, you must either be an individual who has contributed code, documentation, or other work to the Evergreen Project, or you must be employed by an institution that is contributing to the project by virtue of running Evergreen. Please register to vote by completing this short survey [link to survey] no later than 4PM Pacific, [Monday, May 11].

The election will be held on [Thursday, May 14th]. Unlike last year, we will not be using the Scottish Single Transferable Vote (STV) System. Instead, we will be using [solution of choice here, along with any other context that’s important]

Proposed changes to existing Rules (2.4e) re: STV:

Current version:

In the absence of an approved Board motion to the contrary, each year the Board shall request that the Software Freedom Conservancy undertake the collection and counting of votes for the Board election. Votes are to be counted using the Scottish Single Transferable Vote system.

Proposed:

Each year the Board shall undertake the electronic collection and counting of votes for the Board election using a documented voting platform that is widely accessible to the Evergreen community.

Proposed Voting method, 2015:

1. Capture eligible/interested voter list using SurveyMonkey, as was done last year.
2. Setup and run an "Approval Vote" at https://www.opavote.org/ <https://www.opavote.org/> (batch import voter list; itemize candidates; ask respondents to select their top 3 choices)