[Eg-oversight-board] eg-oversight-board Digest, Vol 55, Issue 47

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Apr 1 11:22:14 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Grace Dunbar <gdunbar at esilibrary.com> wrote:
> I'll let this sit until the morning for any further discussion before
> calling for a vote.

To add some background, the wording used in the Evergreen Code of
Conduct has its origins in the JSConf code of conduct, which in turn
draws from the Geek Feminism Wiki's model code [1]. The corresponding
clause from the Geek Feminism model reads:

  $CONFERENCE is dedicated to providing a harassment-free
  conference experience for everyone [, regardless of gender,
  gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability,
  physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion
  [insert any other specific concerns here]].

"Gender identity and expression" was added to that model on 26 May
2013, but hadn't yet propagated to the JSConf version at the time we
were drafting Evergreen's code. That said, adding "gender identity and
expression" is, IMO, a clarification of the intent of the Evergreen
code of conduct, not a change to its intent (i.e., we're not asserting
that harassment based on gender identity and expression was previously
OK; they were not).

I note that the the Geek Feminism version also explicitly mentions
"age"; I suggest that the EOB consider including that as well in the
interests of keeping the code of conference aligned with the Geek
Feminism model.

[1] http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-harassment/Policy

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt