[Eg-oversight-board] Action item: 10% conference budget changes

Grace Dunbar gdunbar at esilibrary.com
Mon Feb 15 15:16:11 EST 2016

Hi all,

I have been remiss in following up on my action item:

EOB voting on 10% changes to the conference budget

A hasty search through email didn't turn up anything historical other than
the wiki which states:

“The hosting site should also seek approval from the EOB for any budget
changes that increase* an expense* by at least 10% and *decrease income* by
at least 10%”

As I think Kathy said in an email on that discussion thread, “expense” has
typically been interpreted as an major line item.  These would line up with
what those familiar with accounting would call a GL (general ledger) code. So,
A/V would be a GL code or major line item expense and we would be looking
at 10% increases to those numbers - not the individual costs for the
lavalier mics or the projectors that are minor line items under that.  And,
of course, any 10% decreases to expected/projected overall revenue
generation.

But I do think this brings up an opportunity to present the local
committees with a standard Account Ledger to use that will standardize
these entries so we have some continuity.  This has been done somewhat
informally in the past but I would like to suggest that the EOB conference
committee (not the current local committee) begin working on some standard
procedural documents and guidelines that each local conference committee
*must* use.

My proposal is that, if we all agree on the current intent of the 10%
wording, then we incorporate this into a more specific and clear set of
documents and expectations for the local conference committees to follow.
While there is mentorship and document turnover from year to year, I think
most groups (in hindsight) would welcome more specificity on the nuts and
bolts.

Thoughts?
TIA,
Grace

--
Grace Dunbar, Vice President
Equinox Software, Inc.  -  The Open Source Experts
gdunbar at esilibrary.com
1-877-OPEN-ILS    www.esilibrary.com