[Eg-oversight-board] Fwd: Evergreen participating in Outreachy again?

Grace Dunbar gdunbar at esilibrary.com
Tue Feb 16 11:01:38 EST 2016

Having participated as a mentor in the first round, I'd say that our
participation suffered from the same issue we've always had in these
situations (GSOC, etc.) - mainly, lack of time on behalf of the mentors.  I
would not qualify our mentorship of our Outreach participant as a success
because I don't feel like we met the stated goals of the program which were
to guide the participant through a small project wherein at the conclusion
they could see their code accepted and implemented in the project before
the end of the term.  Until we address our own issues with mentoring,
transparency, and the ability to successfully create small projects that
are achievable for the participants I don't think we should be
participating.
That said... I think that there will be many, many more opportunities for
participation in these programs once the web client is finished as the
platform will be much friendlier for a wider range of participants.
So, while I'm a big fan of the idea, I'm not a believer in our ability to
successfully mentor participants.  And I think it's unfair of us use these
participants as our learning curve.

Grace

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Ruth Frasur <rfrasur at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I know that this happened, I wasn't part of any of the logistical
> stuff.  On the one hand, I'm for anything that empowers women, encourages
> any participation in open source communities, and promotes Evergreen ILS
> beyond its community and users.  On the other hand, I don't really know
> enough about what this would entail to make an informed recommendation.
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Chris Sharp <csharp at georgialibraries.org>
> wrote:
>
>> For your consideration.  "Outreachy" was formerly known as the "Outreach
>> Project for Women", which Evergreen participated in a couple of years ago.
>> See details below.

Grace Dunbar, Vice President
Equinox Software, Inc.  -  The Open Source Experts
gdunbar at esilibrary.com
1-877-OPEN-ILS    www.esilibrary.com