[Eg-oversight-board] EOB elections

Grace Dunbar gdunbar at esilibrary.com
Thu Feb 18 12:12:29 EST 2016

Hi Amy,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Amy Terlaga <terlaga at biblio.org> wrote:

> However, I'm wondering about this:
> -------------
> The one certain benefit of having the officers nominations and elections
> prior to the conference, and not trying to shoehorn it into a normal
> meeting, is you could hold each office's election separately.  First,
> nominations for Chair, then we vote for the Chair.  Then Vice Chair
> nominations...etc.  This would allow someone who was nominated for Chair to
> declare interest in running for Vice Chair or Secretary, if they don't win
> the Chair position.  I feel that this kind of thing, while possible, is
> much harder to accomplish with our current election process.
> --------------
>
> Do you mean to say that the officer nomination/election process would all
> happen in that last week (week 6), right before the conference?  And it
> would be done in stages - everybody vote for Chair, announce winner, now
> everybody vote for Vice-Chair, announce winner, etc?  I'm not sure if a
> week is a reasonable enough time to accomplish this.  Or maybe I've
> misunderstood you.

Well, there are a few things to keep in mind here.
a.) only the EOB itself votes on its Board positions, so we're dealing with
a small voting group (and a small amount of elected positions).
b.) the manner in which it has previously been handled is via nominations
and voting all within the confines of the meeting at the conference - which
is a much more limited time frame and one that I feel may stifle the
process.

So, we could do nominations and voting via email/irc/balloting that week.
Or we could just do nominations and do the voting at the meeting if we
wish.  I think the most important part at this point is to at least agree
that we can put out a call for new EOB member nominations on March 4th.  We
can work the rest out later if need be.

Thanks for the input!
Grace