[Eg-oversight-board] North Carolina and the LGBT Community

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Mar 31 13:39:39 EDT 2016

Hi Rogan,

> Do we have anything that says we will not consider a site that falls
> under a jurisdiction with this kind of legislation in place?

No, we don't. Our site selection information with criteria is available
at http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=eg09:conference_nominations.

I think it would be useful for the Board to consider  some language here
to address these concerns for future site selection and to include this
action its statement as one of the steps being taken. I'm not quite sure
what the language would be. Maybe 'preference is given to proposals in
locations where policy / legislation fully supports the values
articulated in the Evergreen Code of Conduct and does not discriminate
on the basis of gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability,
physical appearance, body size, race, or religion.' However, the word
'preference' seems to be too light to me.

Future site selection committees would then need to commit to fully
researching potential locations to verify that proposed locations meet
this criteria.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator