[Eg-oversight-board] Outreach business for tomorrow's EOB meeting

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue May 16 17:05:36 EDT 2017

Hi all!

The Outreach Committee has a number of topics we would like to discuss
at Thursday's EOB meeting as time allows:

1.Charge for the Outreach Committee - The original charge, approved in a
proposal submitted to the EOB back in 2015 -
https://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=outreach - set an expiration
date for the committee's work (December 2016) at which time the EOB was
supposed to determine if the work of the committee should continue. The
reason for the short-term nature of the committee was that our initial
focus was on using project funds to rent exhibit space at library
conference. When we didn't receive many donations for the effort, we
scaled back our plans, started securing meeting space at ALA to maintain
a presence without a significant cost to the project, and focused on
other activities.

Since its establishment, the Outreach Committee has established a
presence at every ALA Annual Conference and MidWinter meeting, has
produced two annual reports to feature project highlights of interest to
Evergreen users and non-users, and has issued press releases when the
software has a major version release. We are also working on creating a
central message for the Evergreen project and, when that is done,
developing conference kits that community members can use when they are
representing Evergreen at their own local library conferences. The
merchandise committee has also joined the Outreach Committee as the two
had similar goals. As such, I think the committee should continue its
work, even if it's a little different from the original vision of the
committee.

I have added a link to the agenda with a new proposed charge for the
committee -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DUTW5cJ6L5CHii8E9HtgqaLgImTogdbb23KLgrI5jJE/edit?usp=sharing.
The charge does not expire and is a little less wordy than the previous
charge was. I also would like to point out that in the new charge, the
Outreach Committee proposes expanding to an internal audience, not just
the external audience of potential Evergreen users. We already do some
of this work. The annual report is not just there to promote the project
to an external audience. It also informs our internal audience about
highlights from the past year. We also think the Outreach Committee
would be a good group to focus on supporting and encouraging community
participation from our current base of users.

2. Proposed budget -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Zazk_x3KlrDn0sZmTgdh2rfznL1_I20tJVWavlJGdH0/edit?usp=sharing
In the past, the Outreach Committee has gone to the EOB with a fund
request every time they need money. Starting this year, I would like to
submit an annual budget to the EOB for approval so that we can then
spend the funds as we need provided that the expenditures fit within the
approved budget. I'm also noting that the submission of the annual
budget is included in the proposed charge for the committee.

3. Evergreen logo - The Outreach Committee would like the EOB to
consider the idea of working with a graphic designer to update the
current Evergreen logo. The current logo is very difficult to work with
because it uses a rare font that was customized by removing some
portions of the letters. As a result, it's difficult to reproduce. In
addition, we don't have an official square version of the logo that can
be used when a long logo isn't appropriate. The Evergreen leaf has been
used unofficially, but it would be nice to have an official square logo
to use. If we were to work with a graphic designer, we would be looking
to refresh the existing logo, not do a total redesign.

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator