[Eg-oversight-board] Final conference thoughts

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue May 23 12:19:18 EDT 2017

I think the conference has multiple purposes that can't be encapsulated
in one sentence. But I could try doing it through a bulleted list.

- An opportunity for Evergreen users at all levels to become more
knowledgeable about using, configuring, supporting, and improving the
Evergreen software.

- An opportunity to learn about developments in the software and project
since the last conference.

- An opportunity for the community to discuss and plan for the long-term
future of the project

- An opportunity to engage users and encourage them / educate them on
how they can contribute to the project, which builds the community and
ensures that the project continues to thrive.

- An opportunity to meet others in the community, share experiences with
them, and feel more connected to the other libraries out there using
Evergreen. This also helps build the community.

- An opportunity for some working groups (developers, DIG, etc.) to set
aside some time to get project work done.

Those are my thoughts. Although the first bullet-point addresses
learning about the software, I don't think this necessarily means
training. I agree that it's very difficult to do real training when
Evergreen libraries/consortia implement the software in different ways.

Kathy

On 05/23/2017 12:05 PM, Diane Disbro wrote:

> Good morning –
>
> This is an interesting discussion. I understand that training isn’t
> the purpose of the conference. If you could put the purpose of the
> conference into one sentence, what would that sentence be?
>
> Thank you.
>
> *Diane Disbro*
>
> Circulation Coordinator/Branch Manager
>
> Union Branch