[Eg-oversight-board] Final conference thoughts

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Fri May 26 11:38:16 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Grace Dunbar <grace at equinoxinitiative.org>
wrote:

> Kathy and I were talking about keynotes earlier.
> I suggested replacing them with invited local speakers who would/could
> give regular program sessions.  IOW, we would still retain the benefit of
> having outside ideas and perspectives but not in a keynote.
> For example, if the conference was back in Michigan I might suggest Charles
> Watkinson <https://www.lib.umich.edu/users/watkinc> from University of
> Michigan who is deeply involved in the open scholarly publishing  model.
> Just a random idea...
>

>From the peanut gallery, and riffing on this idea, invited speakers could
also come from related F/LOSS projects, as a way of garnering outside
perspective while staying on the broad topic of open source ILSs. To give a
concrete example, I would love to hear Owen Leonard of the Athens County
(OH) Public Library speak at an Evergreen conference. He's a web designer
who has been active in Koha for years and has contributed much to Koha's
look and feel on both the staff and public sides.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager