[Eg-oversight-board] Open Library Foundation

Ruth Frasur director at hagerstownlibrary.org
Mon Oct 23 11:00:58 EDT 2017

Tim,

Thanks for this.  Open Library is definitely intriguing.  I look forward to
hearing more.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Timothy Spindler <tspindler at cwmars.org>
wrote:

> I spoke to Michael Winkler today who is the managing director with the
> Open Library Foundation (OLF).  The goal of the OLF is to provide a set of
> services to open source and open access services.  There goal is to give as
> much control to the individual projects while providing some basic support
> services.  They will only consider accepting projects that support open
> source/open access licensing.  They are also looking at how their resources
> will support the existing project and how the project will support their
> mission.  They are currently well funded from their existing members.  They
> have the Folio Project (and remaining institutions from Kuali Ole) and have
> just signed VuFind.  They do not require us to use the Apache v2 License.
> They do require that projects joining OLF have licenses that support open
> access and open source.
>
> These services include:
>
>    - Non-profit organization to sign contracts and protect the trademark
>    - Provide a place to store and manage money
>
> They are also looking at  a la carte services that would include and may
> not be limited to cloud services on the Amazon cloud to test and run
> project software, version control with GitHub, and collaborative
> communication using Jira.  They will also look at other services and it is
> negotiable.
>
> Their process is for their board to review a project to determine if it
> meshes with their goals.  They also want projects that have governance and
> foundational documents in place that clearly show the projects mission and
> indicate a level of sustainability.  After completion of the review, the
> board will invite the project to join if it meshes with the mission and
> purpose.
>
> I am going to send Mike links to our governing documents and he said he
> would respond to the questionnaire in the next few weeks that we used for
> the other organizations in our review.
>
> --
>
> Tim Spindler | Executive Director
>
> tspindler at cwmars.org | 508-755-3323 x120 <(508)%20755-3323>
>
> C/W MARS | http://www.cwmars.org
>
> 67 Millbrook St., Ste. 201
>
> Worcester, MA 01606

Ruth Frasur
Director of the Historic(ally Awesome) Hagerstown - Jefferson Township
Library
10 W. College Street in Hagerstown, Indiana (47346)
p (765) 489-5632; f (765) 489-5808

*Our Kickin' Website <http://hagerstownlibrary.org>,  Our Rockin' Facebook
Page <http://facebook.com/hjtplibrary>,  and The Nettle Creek Players
<http://nettlecreekplayers.com>*