[Evergreen-acq] Auto-populating Line Item Notes

John Amundson jamundson at cwmars.org
Wed Aug 15 15:38:03 EDT 2018

Hello,

I am hoping someone can offer some advice.

I am working with a library who wants to bring over information from a
holding subfield present in a MARC Order Record and have it automatically
added as a Line Item Note in Evergreen.

For example, if staff add a note on the vendor's site stored in the 962a
subfield, then when these order records are uploaded into Evergreen, the
information from the 962a subfield should be added to the Line Item's Notes.

This is NOT the "note" holding subfield option that I'm talking about. I
want the information to populate the notes found under the *Notes(x) *link
of the line item.

This is step One. If this is possible step Two would be to make the Line
Item Note Vendor Public so it can be sent back to the the vendor.

I thought it might be possible to accomplish step One with attribute
definitions, but we have tried 20+ variations to find the right code to
accomplish this and have been unable. Here's one example:

Is it possible to use attribute definitions to auto-populate the Line Item
Note? And if not, is there another way we may be able to accomplish this?

Some background on why we are trying to do this in case anyone has
alternatives:

I am working with a library with 10 branches. They practice centralized
ordering and have been using Evergreen acquisitions for years. Currently
they create different POs for each branch as necessary but want to start
putting multiple branches together in the same order. To keep this
organized, they use a coded system to tell staff which item belongs to
which branch. The code will also include other information and may run up
to 11 characters. The library would like this code printed on the paper
invoices sent by the vendor to help organize their receiving. They have
been working with the vendor who thinks they'll be able to print Line Item
Notes on the invoice. We already send these Notes via EDI, but the library
does not have the time to manually enter the code into each note in
Evergreen. It needs to come over with MARC Order Records.

We suggested using the built-in holding subfield for Collection Code as we
do send that field to the vendor. However, the vendor has an 10 character
limit on this field, which is one less than the library needs, which is why
we keep coming back to Line Item Notes.

We would greatly appreciate any help we can get.

We are currently on Evergreen 3.0.8 but have not yet switched over to using
EDI Attributes, though we will be making that switch soon.

Thank you!
John

<http://www.cwmars.org>

John Amundson | Library Applications Associate III | CW MARS

jamundson at cwmars.org | 508-755-3323 x322 <%28508%29%20755-3323>

http://www.cwmars.org