[Evergreen-admin] Evergreen 2.2.0-2.2.1 Upgrade Script - Actions Already Logged in config.upgrade_log

Steve Wills swills at beyond-print.com
Thu Apr 18 08:44:28 EDT 2013

Hi Elliot,

I just upgraded the Balsam Consortium from 2.0.9 up to 2.3.5. I can tell you that there are half a dozen places where that kind of thing happens. I suspect the moral is that we need to stay on top of our upgrades but, that said, my solution was to take snapshots after each major upgrade and hack out the offending duplicates when I encountered them. It took several restores and restarts to get thorugh all of the scripts but frequent snapshots made it much less painful.

I am not enough of a SQL wonk to know how one writes a script that checks update log first and conditionally executes the patch. In later scripts the devs have mercifully added notices that say, "this upgrade may fail since it is intended to provide a patch that may already exist" before they do the patch in a Begin transaction block. That is not consistant as you walk through the upgrade scripts however so don't count on it being "okay" if a block fails. Ultimately I found that, as painful as it was, walking through each upgrade script in sequence, restarts not withstanding, yields the best schema at the end of the day.

In sum, if misery loves company, you are well loved. :)
Steve Wills