[Evergreen-catalogers] Book covers

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Mon Jun 4 09:59:04 EDT 2012

In addition to the free sources of cover art others have mentioned, there
are also some vendors that offer that as well as other added content.
PINES uses Syndetics Solutions/Bowker.

Since the art (and other content) is tied to the ISBN in most cases, be
aware that can cause mismatches since publishers re-use ISBNs and a record
can have multiple ISBNs. The wrong ISBN can also get associated with a
title. Syndetics is very responsive to error corrections. Although, when
the publisher has re-used an ISBN, their only recourse is to suppress the
artwork for the mismatched title. I'm not sure how error correction works
with Google books and Amazon.

Also, any older books or titles from small publishers won't always have
cover art available. Genealogy and local history books often fall into the
latter category. Some academic presses may also. Older books that have
been assigned an ISBN might have  cover art but, if it doesn't have an
ISBN, it won't.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy

PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager

Georgia Public Library Service,

A Unit of the University System of Georgia

1800 Century Place, Suite 150

Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128

404.235-7201, fax