[Evergreen-catalogers] Automatic call number fill in

Elizabeth Thomsen et at noblenet.org
Fri Jun 22 08:28:13 EDT 2012

Interesting -- I didn't know it was ever in the batch area.  I can see
where that would have been slightly less efficient in situations where you
nearly always are going to use that call number and you'd nearly always be
clicking Apply.  But I think my libraries would have found this much less
annoying: click Apply if you want it, ignore and do your own thing
otherwise.  I agree that seems like a cleaner approach.

These are workflow issues, but there's a little psychology involved, too.
I think some people see the prepopulating of the call number box to be
"pushy," almost like the system is invading their inputting territory.  I
don't think they would have felt that way if the call number were in the
batch box.

--
Elizabeth Thomsen, Member Services Manager
NOBLE: North of Boston Library Exchange
E-mail: et at noblenet.org