[Evergreen-catalogers] MODS indexing and 700 |t

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed May 2 10:53:15 EDT 2012

As most of you are probably aware, Evergreen uses MODS for indexing. One
odd element that exists in MODS is that 7xx fields with a subfield t are
not defined as a name element (see
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods-mapping.html#name). I see this as a
problem since it means that the Evergreen application of MODS as an
indexing tool excludes any 700 field with a subfield t from the author
index. So, all of those nice analytical entries we add to records aren't
useful in locating an author (and perhaps the title, but I haven't tested
that recently).

I had a discussion about this very problem with someone at the conference
last week (I apologize that I have forgotten who!). We would really like
to see the indexing in Evergreen changed so that nice record with analyzed
entries for short stories, individual novels in an omnibus edition, songs
on an audio, etc. can be discovered using an author search from one of
those entries. Is this something others in the community would like to
see? Or should we pursue it as a modification of indexing (if possible) in
our own installations?

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy

PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager

Georgia Public Library Service,

A Unit of the University System of Georgia

1800 Century Place, Suite 150

Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128

404.235-7201, fax