[Evergreen-catalogers] RDA and the future of Evergreen

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Mon May 7 08:53:41 EDT 2012

That's what I had thought since there isn't an alternative way to enter
the fields as there is in the standard editor.

The subfields are purely for ease of entry, just as the fixed field grid
they use is. That way catalogers don't have to worry about byte position
-- the system in OCLC translates the subfields and the labeled elements to
the correct position. A really major problem using the standard editor in
MARC21 display in Evergreen to edit the LDR and 008 field is that not only
are we unaccustomed to tracking byte position, we don't seem to have the
ability to over write rather than insert so we have to make sure we delete
any extra spaces added during entry. Using the OCLC like grid removes that
necessity and makes sure the ff elements are in the correct byte position.
Same with using subfields for the 007.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service,
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304
404.235-7128
404.235-7201, fax