[Evergreen-catalogers] Conference discussion: wish list for cataloging

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Wed May 16 09:56:21 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has a list of the topics that were discussed as
wishlist items at the Cataloging Workgroup at the 2012 conference? I'm sure
we have people in this email group who were unable to attend, and would like
to offer an opinion, or add ideas of their own to the list.

I'll start with the idea near and dear to my heart: a way to allow
restricted access to editing the MARC record, based on permission by tag. In
other words, being able to allow someone to edit tag 300 to add pagination
to a CIP record, but not allow them to make changes to tag 245.

Related to that is the idea of record ownership so that if a library owned a
particular record created for local purposes (something that our consortium
would not be adding to OCLC), they could add or enter any tag on their
record. An example for us would be a library that  lends museum passes and
would like them to show in the catalog. Right now, we have to create that
record for them in Evergreen; we'd like to be able to turn that over to them
without giving them the ability to edit the records we downloaded from OCLC.

My two cents,

Mary