[Evergreen-catalogers] Using a MARC file to batch delete bib records

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Thu Dec 5 10:26:26 EST 2013

Hi all,

Maybe someone else out there is already doing this, but I wanted to share
something I figured out this week.

One of our member libraries subscribes to Hoopla, a service for streaming
audio and video. We load records for them so their patrons can find them in
the catalog and use the link in the MARC record to access the resource. We
use subfield 9 in tag 856 with the library's org unit short name so the link
only appears in their catalog.

Hoopla also sends us MARC files for titles they've dropped, which we have to
delete from our catalog.  I started out manually, editing the MARC record to
remove the subfield 9, then deleting the bib record. The system sees a
record with a subfield 9 as akin to having an item attached to it, so I had
to take care of that first.

After enough of this, I hit on a more efficient method. I loaded the "Delete
these records" MARC file, choosing to overlay the bibs fully to wipe out the
subfield 9 since the 856 tags in the file didn't have that subfield. I have
a record match set for matching just on the 001 tag, and I set the loader to
merge on best match.

When the load finished, I went to the load queue and chose to copy it to a
bucket. With the bibs in the record bucket, I could use the batch delete
function, and the job was done.

I hope this helps someone.

Mary

Mary Llewellyn