[Evergreen-catalogers] How much interest is there to meet about authorities at 2014 conference?

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Fri Dec 6 10:58:28 EST 2013

For the record, for those that want to learn about authorities in EG,
there is currently a proposal for having a presentation at the 2014 EG
conference, see below, that will cover how authorities work in EG at
the time of the conference. According to the recent conference program
survey results, there is a lot of interest for this session, but the
final decision of what presentation will be given has not been made
yet, but I like our chances.

Therefore, we might want to consider having our authority meeting
sometime after that presentation, right after or a day after, etc., to
continue discussions about authorities. For example last year when we
had the first meeting we spent a good amount of time discussing how to
make authorities better in future or current versions of EG.

Also, I guess we can make an attempt to assign someone to take minutes
of the meeting, and/or set up a Google for those that cannot make it
to the conference.

Thanks everyone for their responses so far, keep em coming.

Yamil

http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=conference:2014:proposals#authority_control_in_evergreen

Authority Control in Evergreen

Title: Authority Control in Evergreen: The straight dope

cataloging and increase patron access to materials through improved
discovery capabilities. During this session we will discuss exactly
how authority control works in Evergreen, some common but inaccurate
assumptions about authority control in Evergreen, and how best to make
use of the advanced capabilities that Evergreen provides. We will
cover browse integration, automatic record overlay, authority
generation, bibliographic and inter-authority record linking, Control
Sets and their configuration, and how to make use of local, extra-LoC
data and expertise to leverage the full potential of Evergreen's
authority control feature set.

Audience: Catalogers, systems librarians, reference librarians

Presenters:
Mike Rylander, Director of Research and Development at Equinox Software
Angela Kilsdonk, Education Manager at Equinox Software

Session Length: Standard 45-minute Session