[Evergreen-catalogers] Updating LCSH in Evergreen

Jane Sandberg sandbej at linnbenton.edu
Wed Nov 12 12:12:51 EST 2014

Hi Evergreen Catalogers,

(Note: I already sent this to the OPEN-ILS-GENERAL list; apologies if
you receive it twice!)

Does anyone out there update subject headings in your local catalog
when the LC announces their updates?  I'm playing with the idea of
starting to do it semi-regularly, and would at least like to clean up
some of the major recently changed subject headings.  For example, LC
changed the heading "cookery" to "cooking" back in 2010, and of
course, half of our materials are listed under the old heading, and
half are listed under the new.

Has anybody else done this kind of work in their Evergreen catalogs?
If so, would you mind sharing your workflows?  It seems like the "MARC
Batch Edit" feature in record buckets might be helpful, and it seems
like this would be a lot more apparent if I understood how Evergreen
deals with authorities (it's all a little mysterious right now).  I'd
really appreciate you sharing any experiences/documentation related to
MARC Batch Edit or authorities, as well as your advice or words of
caution. :-)

Thanks for your help!

    -Jane

--