[Evergreen-catalogers] Relator terms and codes during automatic headings matches

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Thu Jun 18 10:36:32 EDT 2015

It looks like |e is only valid in name headings -- personal and corporate
for relator term; meeting is Subordinate unit.

I tried to find an example where the relator term was used as part of the
preferred/authorized form but have not been successful (LC has an example in
the MARC21 format for how the |e is used, but the authority record for the
person doesn't use the term used in the example). As Joni points out,
creators can be author or screenwriter or something else depending on
context. I would think using one relator term in an authority record for a
living person could potentially cause problems. There are 3XX fields for
authority records that would be better places for the relators than the 1xx
fields.

Since  Bryan points out that the rules are actively not requiring it, you
could probably can safely remove it  (unless the rules change) if you are
creating AF records from a bib record.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager