[Evergreen-catalogers] Authority control with batch import/export

Brueck, Vicki Vicki.brueck at ncdcr.gov
Mon Dec 5 09:17:44 EST 2016

Jane,

My library will be migrating from Voyager to Evergreen in January.  We have also always done our own authority work and will be struggling to find a new workflow that allows us to continue.  We have been told and saw demonstrated a bug in the controlling of headings individually and so have arranged to have the script run each night to control them that way.  I mention this because I had asked about having Voyager's authority reports recreated for use in Evergreen and was told by the Equinox staff who are coordinating our migration that unauthorized reports of names, subjects and series titles could not be created because of the way that Evergreen stores its data.  Then the bug was discussed and the arrangement made to have the  script run nightly to control the headings.  I then asked if a report could be generated each night of the heading that were not controlled by the script, which is in effect an authorized heading report.  They researched that and found that yes it could be done but it would involve some development which is not included in our migration contract.  If that development was done then you would have a report method of finding out all of the headings which would need an authority record.

In the meantime we anticipate following your method when we use Z39.50.  When we use the batch import process we anticipate loading the records and then individually searching them in the catalog to then check for needed authorities.  Our test database should be ready this week sometime so we can start testing this.  If anyone writes to you personally I would be very interested in hearing any comments they make.  I'm hoping that someone comes up with a good idea, because this proposal does sound cumbersome to me.

Thanks,
Vicki

Vicki Brueck
Cataloger, Content Management and Access Branch
Government & Heritage Library
State Library of North Carolina
Department of Natural and Cultural Resources

919-807-7451 office
919-733-1843 fax
vicki.brueck at ncdcr.gov

109 East Jones St.
4640 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4600

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.