[Evergreen-catalogers] New member orientation questions

Michelle Echols mechols at monroepl.org
Thu Dec 8 14:58:03 EST 2016

Hello,

I am part of the Eastern Monroe Public Library, which just switched over to
Evergreen/SparkPA today. I have a few cataloging questions now that we are
part of a consortium.

Let's say I am looking to add volumes to our library for "Captain
Underpants and the wrath of the wicked Wedgie Woman" by Dav Pilkey to our
library. When I search by title I run into what seem to me to be a number
of duplicated records. I have a ©2001 Scholastic paperback edition in front
of me. I searched by title and the records with these TCNs were returned:

TCN         Publisher    # Pages
6308947 - Scholastic, 175
5024304 - Scholastic, 175
6411723 - Scholastic, 165
3117341 - Scholastic, 165
4022287 - Scholastic, 159

2097955 -  Blue Sky,  176
6616136 -  Blue Sky,  176
421675 -    Blue Sky,  165 [11]

All are ©2001.

Aside from the page numbers the records of the Scholastic editions are more
or less the same. I can see from the copy I have that pagination of the
book ends at page 165, but there are actually 175 pages of story and then
one additional page of content.

Should any (or all) of these records be merged? Apparently the Blue Sky
editions are hardcover, but Blue Sky is an imprint of Scholastic. Could the
Scholastic and Blue Sky records be merged as well so long as we included
both ISBNs in 020s and listed both Scholastic and Blue Sky in the 260 field?

Follow up question: If the records should not be merged, would it be better
to use a record from a library in my county, or would any Spark record work?

And finally: If I see that a record has a mistake, should I fix that
mistake? If yes, should I seek permission first? For example, today we
found a record where the 250 field had 'Frist Edition'. Can we go ahead and
fix that? Or if a record has a 440 field instead of 490, can we update that
or would that be an issue?

Sorry for the barrage!
Thank you for any and all guidance!

Michelle Echols