[Evergreen-catalogers] Item status refresh and scanned titles not in order

Janet Schrader jschrader at cwmars.org
Tue Nov 19 23:25:05 EST 2019

Hi Everyone,

One of our catalogers discovered that scanned items in Item Status do not
display in the order scanned. This is not due to sorting by columns, she is
not sorting by any column, just wants the list to show in the order
scanned, first item at the bottom, last at the top.

After some testing we discovered the problem is due to scanning recently
edited items and think this is caused by the fix for item status refreshing
after edits are made to item(s) in the list. Her workflow is to edit an
item created in Acquisitions in the holdings editor and then scan its
barcode into Item Status open in another tab so that she can then batch
print spine labels. After scanning about 10 items the next scans are added
in random order. I think this is caused by the system seeing the items as
being edited in Item Status, all display with the modified status icon in
the far left column even though none are edited in Item Status.

I can confirm that if I edit an item and then *within 10-15 seconds* scan
that barcode into item status, item status displays the "item successfully
modified" icon in the far left status column. even after 30 seconds or so I
get the same edited icon. If I wait 60 seconds and scan the barcode into
item status it does not display as an edited item. I haven't determined the
exact amount of time it takes the system to not see the edit as a new one,
modified in item status, but it appears to be significant. However, I do
not think that this way the item status refresh is supposed to work.

Has anyone experienced this behavior? I hesitate to create a bug report in
Launchpad if we are doing something wrong. I realize waiting solves the
problem but that means handling each item a second time instead of the
smooth workflow she is now using.

Thanks,
Janet

Janet Schrader

Bibliographic Services Supervisor | CW MARS

67 Millbrook Street, Suite 201, Worcester, MA 01606

P: 508-755-3323 x 325 | F: 508-757-7801