[Evergreen-catalogers] Consolidating cataloging

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Thu Jan 23 16:57:24 EST 2020

Hi Jane,

In our consortium, we provide centralized cataloging. The only records
libraries are allowed to load are the vendor records through Acquisitions.

We load OCLC records based on
1. Requests from libraries needing a record. They email requests to us,
providing author, title, publisher, date, and identifier numbers (ISBN,
UPC, etc.) and we search OCLC and export from Connexion and load to
Evergreen.
If we don't find a matching record, we send a checklist of images we need
from the item so we can provide original cataloging based on surrogates. We
only load the bib records for them. The library staff is responsible for
adding their item information.

2. Overlaying/replacing the vendor records that came from acq. I have a SQL
query looking for those based on TCN values that are not OCLC numbers and
based on a bib source we have our acq libraries use to identify the source
as a Vendor Order Record. After we overlay the records, we run a SQL query
to copy the OCLC number from tag 001 to the TCN value column in
biblio.record_entry. This way, we can use the OCLC number prefix in a SQL
query on TCNs to either add or elimination OCLC records from our query
results.

We do have some vendor item cataloging coming in for one of our larger acq
libraries to replace the "on order" items with fully classified circulating
items. Since we've already added the OCLC records, we don't allow the
vendor MARC records to replace our records, but use the "Match-only merge"
overlay profile to use only the incoming item information.

Please let me know if any of this is helpful to you and if you want more
detail.

Mary

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 4:01 PM Jane Sandberg <sandbej at linnbenton.edu>
wrote:

> Hi cataloging colleagues,
>
> Our consortium is pretty small, with 5 municipal libraries (ranging
> from very small -- 1 staff member -- to medium-sized) and one
> community college.
>
> Currently, every library does its own copy cataloging.  Half of us
> have the power to bring in OCLC records, the rest of us just use
> whatever free Z39.50 targets we can.  When we need an original record,
> the community college or the largest municipal library take care of
> it.  We do have a courier service, so we can send books around pretty
> easily.
>
> We are looking into centralizing more of our cataloging (probably at
> the largest municipal library), with the goals of freeing up more time
> at those 1-person libraries and getting some more consistency in the
> catalog.  We are not a district or system or anything like that, and
> that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.
>
> Have any of you gone through a process like this?  We would love to
> hear your advice and experiences.
>
> Warmly,
>
>   -Jane
>
> --