[Evergreen-catalogers] Subject and Series Browse displays

Donald Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Fri Jun 26 14:13:22 EDT 2020

Hi All,

When our library moved to MOBIUS as a host site, one of the first things I
asked them to help us with was the Series Browse index and the Subject
Browse results screen display.

We found that the default Series Browse Index only included the 830 field.
This was a big problem for us. As an academic library, we want all of the
8XX fields to appear in that index. It was particularly crucial that the
810 field be included because all of our locally produced videos and sound
recordings include an 810 series entry. Example : Asbury Theological
Seminary. Minister's Conference, 2013
<https://evergreen.asburyseminary.edu/eg/opac/browse?blimit=10&bterm=Asbury+Theological+Seminary.+Minister%27s+Conference%2C+2013&qtype=series&locg=2>
It seems to me that this default needs to change. Can I get a +1?  The one
custom thing we had MOBIUS do in this index was to also include the $t as
part of the Index. Example: Minister's Conference, 2013
<https://evergreen.asburyseminary.edu/eg/opac/browse?blimit=10&bterm=Minister%27s+Conference%2C+2013&qtype=series&locg=2>
Induding this feature means that a searcher wouldn't need to have inside
knowledge about how to search. Do you think it is something that should be
included in the general release?

As to the Subject Browse results screen, it has always bothered me that
Evergreen hasn't followed the L.C. standard of displaying dashes whenever a
"Subdivision" subfield (v, x, y, z) is present in the 6XX fields. It seems
like such a little thing, but in my mind it makes a big difference in
readability. Here are some examples:

600 -- Lewis, C. S. (Clive Staples), 1898-1963 -- Criticism and
interpretation -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
<https://evergreen.asburyseminary.edu/eg/opac/browse?blimit=10&bterm=Lewis%2C+C.+S.+%28Clive+Staples%29%2C+1898-1963+Criticism+and+interpretation+--+Handbooks%2C+manuals%2C+etc.&qtype=subject&locg=2>
610 -- United Methodist Church (U.S.). East Ohio Conference -- Case studies
<https://evergreen.asburyseminary.edu/eg/opac/browse?blimit=10&bterm=United+Methodist+Church+%28U.S.%29.+East+Ohio+Conference+--+Case+studies&qtype=subject&locg=2>
.
630 -- Bible. Matthew -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. -- History --
Early church, ca. 30-600.
<https://evergreen.asburyseminary.edu/eg/opac/browse?blimit=10&bterm=Bible.+Matthew+--+Criticism%2C+interpretation%2C+etc.+--+History+--+Early+church%2C+ca.+30-600.+&qtype=subject&locg=2>
650 -- Theology, Doctrinal -- Africa, Sub-Saharan -- History -- 20th
century -- Bibliography.
<https://evergreen.asburyseminary.edu/eg/opac/browse?blimit=10&bterm=Theology%2C+Doctrinal+--+Africa%2C+Sub-Saharan+--+History+--+20th+century+--+Bibliography.+&qtype=subject&locg=2>
651 -- Palestine -- History -- 70-638 -- Congresses.
<https://evergreen.asburyseminary.edu/eg/opac/browse?blimit=10&bterm=Palestine+--+History+--+70-638+--+Congresses.&qtype=subject&locg=2>

Would anybody else like to see this standard followed in Evergreen? Now
that MOBIUS has it coded, should it become part of the production version?

Don

--
Don Butterworth
Director of Strategic Collections Services /
don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
(859) 858-2227