[Evergreen-catalogers] How do you compensate for less intuitive cross-references

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Fri Feb 19 19:03:19 EST 2021

Hi Janet,

We, too, had a good search with cross-references in our last system. In the
last staff client, we could even use keyword searching and still see the
cross-references. We've held back on implementing authority control
because, as you say, the cross-references would only appear in a browse
search which is not a popular search approach. We would love to see them
available through keyword searching some day.

In the meantime, we're indexing tag 245, subfield c in the author index.
That compromise allows retrieval on author searches when the name on the
title page differs from the authorized heading. We would never alter the
main entry and would rather avoid adding the variant name as an added
author entry. I think the 245$c is working as an adequate alternative.

Mary

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 1:51 PM Janet Schrader <jschrader at cwmars.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> It's been a while, probably because of 2020 the year that seemed both
> eternal and yet over so quickly, since I've posed a Friday question or
> comment. I wonder if the subject of cross-references would make a good EG
> conference topic.
>
> When CWMARS migrated to EG we left a system which at the time had
> excellent cross-references in the OPAC. Along with NOBLE we worked on
> development for these with the result being the ones in the browse search.
> Unfortunately this is not a search widely used by or even known to patrons
> and staff.
>
> How does your network handle this problem? The name the patron searches is
> not the main entry. Libraries have asked us to add an added author to the
> records or to edit the main entries.  This is prevalent not only with
> Asian, Israeli, or Arabic names, but also authors who change names due to
> marriage, divorce, or just plain because they can.
>

> Thanks,
> Janet
>

> Janet Schrader
>
> Bibliographic Services Supervisor | CW MARS
>
> 67 Millbrook Street, Suite 201, Worcester, MA 01606
>
> P: 508-755-3323 x 325 | F: 508-757-7801

Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager
Bibliomation, Inc.