[Evergreen-catalogers] Evergreen Conference --- Authorities Session?

Jennifer Weston jennifer.weston at equinoxinitiative.org
Fri Mar 26 12:20:07 EDT 2021

Hi Catalogers,

There have been several suggestions about a potential Authorities session
at the Evergreen Conference this year.   We are looking for volunteers to
share their experience and help lead a conversation about Authorities at
the conference (or at a future CWG meeting, depending upon your
time/capacity).

There are two different ideas here:

1) Basic Introduction to Authorities -- how to get started and make these
work for validating your bib records (there are several presentations from
previous conferences that would be good to update)

2) Specific Authority Challenges -- looking at topics such as: handling
"less-than-obvious" cross-references, adding sources other than the Library
of Congress, and using a local thesaurus for alternative terminology where the
established headings are divisive or non-inclusive

Please respond either to this message or to me directly if you are
interested in working on this topic as a presentation.

Also, if you have questions about authorities or resources you are already
using in your work with authorities, please share them!

Thanks, as always,
Jennifer

Jennifer Weston, MLIS
Implementation Project Manager
Equinox Open Library Initiative
phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457) ext. 5574
email:  jennifer.weston at equinoxinitiative.org
web:    *https://EquinoxInitiative.org <https://equinoxinitiative.org/>*