[Evergreen-catalogers] should we spend money on authority control?

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Tue Oct 26 19:46:06 EDT 2021

We haven’t had authority control done since our last ILS. We’re not sure
the public usage would justify the expense since they mostly use the
keyword search and you need to browse to see cross references. I would like
to see developments that all KW searches to touch the authorities.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 4:43 PM Carolyn Phillips via Evergreen-catalogers <
evergreen-catalogers at list.evergreen-ils.org> wrote:

> I have been working here since December 2009 and we have not had authority
> control work done on our catalog by an outside company since I've been
> here.  Our IS department has done at least one thing to update authorities,
> which was changing "cookery" to "cooking."  (We are upgrading to 3.7
> November 7.)
>
> *Carolyn Phillips*
> she/her/hers <https://www.mypronouns.org/>
> *Cataloger*
>
> Grand Rapids Public Library | Celebrating 150 Years
> <https://www.grpl.org/grpl150>
> Main Library | 111 Library St NE | 49503
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/111+Library+St+NE+%7C+49503?entry=gmail&source=g>
> 616-988-5400 x5462 <16169885400,5462> | www.grpl.org
> On 10/26/2021 4:22 PM, Sharon Douglas via Evergreen-catalogers wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> It's been over 10 years since we last had authority control work done
> on our database.
> I'm not sure it's worth spending money on doing it again.
> Wondering how many public libraries out there have this done once in a
> while, and/or keep up with it?
>
> We are on version 3.3.4, will probably move to 3.7 early next year.
>
> Can't decide what value we would get out of spending $13,000 when it
> appears only the browsing function utilizes authority files.
>
> Seriously interested in others opinions!
>
> Sharon Douglas
> Automation Coordinatordouglass at gsuite.larl.org
> 218-233-3757 ext. 138
>
> Lake Agassiz Regional Library | www.larl.org118 5th Street South
> Moorhead, MN 56560 <https://www.google.com/maps/search/118+5th+Street+South%0D%0AMoorhead,+MN+56560?entry=gmail&source=g>
> Celebrating 60 Years of Service in 2021!

Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager
Bibliomation, Inc.
24 Wooster Ave.