[Evergreen-catalogers] How to explain the display of "empty records"?

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Tue Oct 4 13:27:39 EDT 2022

Hi all,

I could use some advice.

We have our catalogers use CONS as their search library so they can find
all records, with and without items, when they need to catalog their own
items.

However, the public services staff use their own library as a search
library, and that's where we run into staff confusion.

When they run into a bib record with no items, they report that to us as an
error.
When they are searching in their own library, they expect to only retrieve
records with their items.

I'm trying to come up with a succinct explanation for why they see those
records. I do assure them that their public does not see the "empty"
records, that they only appear in the staff catalog. Can someone share with
me the official reason for why these records display?

I wish there were some way to prevent them from coming up in their searches.
--
Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager
mllewell at biblio.org