[Evergreen-catalogers] New BIBFRAME study group

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Thu May 11 18:13:43 EDT 2023

[No apologies whatsoever for cross-posting]

Following a presentation I gave at the Evergreen Conference and discussion
at the latest meeting of the Cataloging Interest Group, I would like to
announce the formation of a new BIBFRAME Study Group.

The rationale of the group is to

   - Collectively, Evergreen community members should learn more about
   BIBFRAME in order to decide how/if it should be supported in Evergreen
   - There are now more tools and more library experience with it
   - There may be some particular applications we could implement sooner
   rather than later
   - But ultimately: we need to figure out what we don't know yet

The goals and desired outcomes of the group, which is intended to run for
about six months, are:

   - Bring together catalogers and developers
   - Experiment with existing tools
   - Figure out what events / conferences Evergreen libraries should be
   paying attention to
   - Figure out who we should be talking to (especially with respect to
   public libraries and consortia)
   - Create a proof of concept of exporting and importing BIBFRAME
   - Create a discussion paper explaining what Evergreen libraries would
   need from an BIBFRAME implementation
   - Plan for next steps

I have created a new mailing list for the study group. To join, please go
to the following link and hit the "Ask to join group" button:

https://groups.google.com/a/evergreen-ils.org/g/bibframe-study

Here is a Doodle poll for scheduling an organizational meeting for the
study group:

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/dGMNmRya

Regards,

Galen