[Evergreen-catalogers] Format code for Z39.50 attributes

Mackenzie Johnson mtjohnson at upei.ca
Mon Sep 25 09:59:52 EDT 2023

Hello all,

I'm poking around in how to setup a connection to a Z39.50 server, and when looking in the details for setting up attributes, there is a column labelled "Format" that contains a numerical value, and I can't tell what it is used for. Even within specifically what I think I can call the "default" Library of Congress lookup, some elements are given a format number of 6 and the others 1. The documentation does not help here, whether from EG or LOC (which at least told me how the "Truncation" encoding works). Understanding the meaning of this will also be useful for the Authorities Working Group, as what I'm trying to do is see how well EG can currently support setting up a connection to the Name Authority File and the Subject Authority File, both of which can be accessed through Z39.50 for free through LoC.

Regards,

Mackenzie Johnson, MLIS
(he/his/him)
Metadata Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
Email: mtjohnson at upei.ca
Phone: 902-620-5290
ORCID: 0000-0002-9358-5081
Book an appointment with YouCanBookMe<https://mackenziejohnson.youcanbook.me>

UPEI is located on Mi'kma'ki, the unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq people.